Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day 56

When I first started EC with Annie I read that babies were able to release their bladder and bowel muscles on cue, but didn't quite have the muscles needed to "hold it." The honest truth... I didn't believe it was true until I started regular practice of EC. Of course we all think our children are smart and 'the best' and that holds true for Annie. I really thought she was a genius and ahead of the game with being able to pee/poop in a potty. In many ways you could say she is ahead of the game, but this makes me wonder what babies are capable of. If you took a baby that does not practice EC and held him over a potty would he/she be able to release the muscles necessary to pee? I'm assuming, like with most things, practice makes perfect and with enough practice a baby who uses diapers regularly would be able to eliminate in a potty. I guess that's a study I'll have to do one day.
My next question: when do babies become capable of holding it? Picture a little toddler holding it and crossing her legs to not pee her pants... now picture this in infant form. Perhaps that's why babies are not able hold it yet... that would look too ridiculous! As for using their muscles to release elimination... do babies lose this ability and regain it again when it's time to potty train? Or is this ability always present, but as adults we need to recognize it? Something to think about...


Today I learned: Annie has more control over elimination than I ever imagined was possible.
Diapers saved today =6
Money saved today = $1.20
Money saved to date = $73.60

No comments:

Post a Comment